Monday, August 31, 2009

You gotta beef?




The inspiration for making this meal came about based on what we had in the freezer. And right now we have beef.




This recipe for chili calls for ground beef. I chose to use a pound and half of boneless chuck. I just trimmed the fat off and cut it up into pieces about the size of a walnut.

The recipe also calls for a can of Campbell’s chili soup. I don’t think it’s available anymore.

I used fresh tomatoes because our tomato plants are overflowing this time of the year.
I also skipped the cumin and I added a package of brown gravy mix and a chopped green pepper.




CHILI

1 tbsp bacon dripping (Next time you make bacon, put some drippings aside. Or you can do what I did and just fry up two slices. It'll go great on salad this week.)
1 1/4 lb ground beef
2 large onions, chopped
1 cup celery, chopped
2 cans (14 oz ea) tomatoes, cut up
2 cans (10 oz ea) tomato soup
1 can (10 oz) chili soup
2 cans (15 oz ea) kidney beans in chili gravy
2 1/2 cups water
1 tsp cumin seed
1 tbsp sugar
1 envelope McCormick chili seasoning mix
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Brown ground beef in drippings and pour off excess fat. In 8 quart pot add all ingredients, cover and simmer for 2 hours. Do not add salt until tasted. Taste for additional chili powder. Makes 4 1/2 quarts. (Rev 9/1/97)

You’ll probably need to remove the lid after 1 ½ hours. The fresh tomatoes will add a lot of liquid. I continued to let it simmer until it thickened up a bit. I also added a healthy (rounded) ¼ tsp of chili powder.

We served this with cornbread.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love for you to comment. You can choose Anonymous.