Sunday, August 30, 2009

You're making what??!!

Sometimes the name of a recipe makes you go, "Huh?"



At least that's what I said when I saw the recipe for Toad in the hole. I had no idea what it was. But, apparently it's quite popular. It's a traditional English dish. I'll trust Wikipedia this one time.

I knew I had some smoked bratwurst in the freezer so I searched Mom and Dad's cookbook for brawts and found this recipe.

What I like most about it is you can serve maple syrup over it and it's an easy breakfast. It would also be a good camping meal.

TOAD-IN-THE-HOLE




2 large eggs
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt
Pinch of black pepper
1 cup all-purpose pre-sifted flour
4 smoked bratwurst sausages, split lengthwise
2 tbsp drippings

Whisk the eggs, milk, salt and pepper until frothy. Gradually add the flour while continuing to whisk. When the batter is well mixed, refrigerate for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place the split sausages in a cast iron skillet with drippings and brown. Arrange sausages in a decorative pattern and pour batter around the sausages.





Place skillet in oven and immediately turn oven down to 375 degrees. Bake for 35 minutes or until top is crisped and brown. Serves 4.



The glass of Merlot was in the picture for scale.

3 comments:

  1. I think this is on the menu soon. Nice brunch or light dinner option. Love the wine glass for scale. Caused me to look up adult beverage pairing ideas:

    Would go great with a beer, a German Riesling or a Non-Oak Chardonnay (stainless steel fermentation)

    I see a good trend here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, this could be a good food pantry recipe sans adult beverages.

    Bring it on Chef Ken!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wine goes good with toad NOT in the hole?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to comment. You can choose Anonymous.