Sunday, February 27, 2011

And I'll be in Scotland afore ye; Scotch Eggs

Mom and Dad never made this recipe while I was home. Honestly, it seemed like a lot of work to go through just for eggs and sausage.
I used turkey breakfast sausage links in lieu of the pork sausage. That added a twist to the process.

SCOTCH EGGS

6 large eggs, hard-boiled, cooled and shelled
Flour
1 lb bulk pork sausage (hot Italian for variety)
1/4 cup dried bread crumbs
1/2 tsp grated nutmeg
Pinch cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
1 large egg, beaten
Vegetable oil


Mix the bread crumbs, nutmeg, cayenne, salt and pepper in a small bowl and set aside. Roll each of the hard-boiled eggs in flour and shake off excess. Divide sausage into 6 pieces and flatten each into a circle large enough to enclose an egg. Because I used the breakfast sausage links, I just used two links per egg. I spread them out between to pieces of wax paper.


They did tend to stick a little to the wax paper, though. Wrap each egg in sausage making sure that they're evenly covered.
Beat the raw egg lightly in a small bowl. Dip a sausage covered egg in the beaten egg, roll in the crumb mixture coating evenly and set aside. Turkey sausage is a little stickier than pork sausage. Rather than dipping the rolls in the egg, I used a pastry brush to coat the sausage.


Refrigerate the coated eggs for half an hour. You can refrigerate longer if you want.
To cook the eggs, heat the oil to 350 F in a skillet over low heat. When the oil is hot add 3 of the eggs and cook until browned, turning once or twice. Do not over-heat the oil or the sausage will crack. It should take 6 or 7 minutes. Cook remaining 3 eggs.

We had this with pancakes and blueberry syrup. Carol made the syrup.

2 comments:

  1. I guess I can't do this with egg beaters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could you maybe put a little cooking spray on the wax paper?

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to comment. You can choose Anonymous.