Sunday, March 21, 2010

Cara me a way (Kielbasa and Cabbage)


I did a word search in Mom and Dad's cook book. I only have four more recipes that call for caraway seeds. Of course, I didn't have any caraway. So it was off to the store. Now I'm set for the next decade. This was very good. I'd cut back the red pepper to 1/8 tsp next time, though.
KIELBASA AND CABBAGE

6 slices bacon
1 head cabbage (2 lb) cut in 8 wedges
1 large onion, chopped
2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup water
2 tsp caraway seed
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp seasoned salt
1/4 tsp red pepper, crushed (optional)
1 lb Polish Kielbasa, cut in 6 pieces (3 inches each)

Fry bacon until crisp in a large skillet and set bacon aside. Secure outer leaves of each wedge with a toothpick. Add cabbage wedges, onion, water, sugar and all the spices to the bacon drippings. Cook covered 15 minutes, turning cabbage wedges at least once. Add Kielbasa and continue cooking covered an additional 10 to 15 minutes or until cabbage is at desired tenderness.


Do not allow to cook dry, add water as needed. Top with crumbled bacon. Serve with salt water potatoes and a pat of butter. Serves 6.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love for you to comment. You can choose Anonymous.