Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Give Peas A Chance

I’m not big fan of peas but, in this case I’ll make an exception. Dad notes in this recipe not to overcook the scallops. Bay scallops are very small and they will cook quickly.



BAY SCALLOPS NEWBURG





1/2 lb bay scallops
2 tbsp butter
1/4 cup chopped onion
1 tbsp chopped red pepper (optional)
2 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
Pinch pepper
1 cup milk
1/4 cup dry sherry
1 tsp lemon juice
1/2 cup frozen peas

Sauté onions and red pepper in butter in an 8 inch frying pan about 4 minutes or until tender. Mix flour, salt and pepper and add to pan and stir to mix with butter. Keep stirring and cook for a minute until bubbly. While stirring, add milk and cook until bubbly and thick. Stir in wine and lemon juice. Add peas and scallops and return to a low boil. Simmer for 2 minutes or until scallops are opaque. DO NOT OVER COOK. Serve over toast points or in pastry cups. Serves 2.

I used a Pillsbury dough mix to make the pastry cups. Next time I’ll use puff pastry.
I used a mild dry sherry because that's what I had. I'd use a much drier sherry next time.

1 comment:

  1. This was incredibly tasty. I'm a big fan of peas and am so glad that Ken found a way to give peas a chance!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love for you to comment. You can choose Anonymous.