Sunday, September 13, 2009

That's Italian!

I liked how fresh this tasted. The added peppers and onions really made this recipe standout.I used fresh tomatoes from the garden to make this recipe. I skinned the tomatoes by boiling them for 45 seconds and then putting them in ice water. This worked extremely well. The recipe says chopped tomatoes. I wouldn't cut them too, small.

I wasn’t sure what Mom and Dad meant by Italian style tomato sauce. I used Delgresso Traditional Italian Recipe. Next time I’d sauté the celery, pepper and onion for no more than four minutes.



MARINARA SAUCE
2 tbsp olive oil
3/4 cup chopped celery
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 can (28 oz) plum tomatoes, chopped
1 can (15 oz) Italian style tomato sauce
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp basil
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp thyme
1 1/2 tsp sugar
2 pkgs G Washington Golden
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp red wine vinegar

In a 4 quart saucepan sauté the celery in olive oil for 5 minutes. Add the green pepper and continue for another 5 minutes, and finally add the onion and continue sautéing for a final 5 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer uncovered for 1 hour. Serve over your favorite pasta. Makes about 4 cups.

We served this with four cheese ravioli.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love for you to comment. You can choose Anonymous.