Monday, September 28, 2009

Maybe This Was Mama Bear's Soup

Here’s another recipe to use more of the tomatoes from our garden.
This was introduced to the family by my oldest brother’s wife.
I googled Slang Jang and found a number of links. It’s a Texas favorite.

Gazpacho - Slang Jang
2 cans (15 oz ea) tomatoes, with liquid
(Instead of the 2 cans, I used four fresh tomatoes.)
1 1/2 cups bread and butter pickles, with juice
1 can (6 oz) minced clams, with liquid
1 medium onion, chopped
1 1/2 or 2 tbsp vinegar
3 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
6 dashes Tabasco sauce or to taste

Process tomatoes to a puree and set aside. Process the pickles to a fine chop. Combine with tomatoes and remaining ingredients. Chill and serve. Makes about 3 pints.



I served this with toasted ciabatta bread with EVO and fresh garlic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love for you to comment. You can choose Anonymous.